Sunday, April 25, 2010

Quiet Water Kayaking Season in Northern New York Has Begun!

Hello and welcome to my kayaking blog.  I'm looking forward to sharing with you some of our kayaking adventures and photos as the 2010 season gets underway.  April in northern NY can be fickle, but this weekend we were able to get in our first paddle of the year.  We choose a new location, the West Branch of Fish Creek, near Camden, NY.  Although this short trip begins in a residential area, the creek upstream from the dam soon becomes wild.  We heard lots of birds but many were out of sight like the Eastern Phoebe.  We saw Canada geese, a green heron (I think,) many red winged blackbirds, a couple of small snakes in the water, and.... a red fox!  Unfortunately, he/she only stuck around for a couple of seconds once we rounded a bend in the creek, so no time for a photo, darn it!  It was quite a treat to see the fox out for a stroll along the creek in the middle of the day.  I would say that was the highlight of our first kayaking trip of the season.




I'll be back with photos from our first trip.  But I will also add some other photos as we go, since April is not exactly the best time to photograph waterways in northnern NY state.  We're just beginning to get some tiny light green leaves on our trees here.  That means lots of brown and tan along the creek we visited.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ang! Congratulations on taking the "plunge" and starting your own kayaking blog! I've been blogging myself for nearly a year... and it is a lot of fun to write about what you love to do! Looks like I'm your first follower? Thanks again for stopping by (virtually) my neck of the woods and commenting! Remember to take life one stroke at a time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    Thanks for becoming a follower! I will follow you too-- I'm so new to this that I bookmarked blogs instead of clicking on the "follow" button... ah well, I'll learn eventually! I'll be sure to check back with your blog to see what you're up to. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete